PANDAS is the acronym for Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal infections. PANDAS is a subset of PANS. Guidelines for diagnosing PANDAS include:
- Presence of OCD and/or tics
- Symptoms begin between age three and puberty
- Acute-onset and episodic (relapsing-remitting) course
- Association with Group A Streptococcal (GAS) infection
- Association with Neurological Abnormalities
The diagnosis of PANDAS does not require comorbid neuropsychiatric symptoms beyond OCD or tics, however, they are often present.